Thursday, 4 May 2017

GameJam Week 3

This week the main focus was getting working mechanics and creating assets, both of which I am not particularly good at so while the rest of the group took the brunt of that work I started devising more updates to the puzzle and level layouts. 
The others had already put together a basic blockout of the level at this point using modular wall pieces that Scott had made. I began applying the design from last week to it and altering the main hall so it be shorter as the previous version took too long to traverse. I also added a collapsed wall and a larger tutorial area.

Image may contain: one or more people

With these adjustments made I went onto drafting some puzzle ideas. The team had decided that we wanted to have block moving and sequencing puzzles. Initially we had also planned to put to implement timers and platforming elements to the puzzles but I thought that this would detract and work against the player's puzzle solving so we decided to segment the platforming to outside the puzzle rooms and remove timers all together. This is because puzzle solving is meditative and slowly paced as apposed to platforming and timed events which are active and would put unnecessary pressure on the player.






Scott also wanted to include a luger pistol model that he had made previously into the player model on a holster. I that this would be unnecessary as we do not plan to have any shooting mechanics at all so showing a weapon on the character would give false expectation. However I did suggest that instead we could incorporate bits of the luger into the robot arm with a bit of kit bashing giving the character a worn mechanical aesthetic.



No comments:

Post a Comment